Monday, January 5, 2015

Make it Monday with NPlane for NBUS...

The current Papertrey Ink Make it Monday Challenge highlights all the Make it Monday Challenges for 2014 and you can choose one you had perhaps missed. I'd love to say that because of the craziness that was the holiday season I missed the opportunity to partake in re-creating Laura Bassen's gorgeous Camoflaging Die Cuts Technique, but truth be told, I'm fairly new to the delights of Papertrey Ink, and only just realized they have weekly Challenges - slow, I know LOL! All the same, I couldn't miss the opportunity to give this technique a try!

In an effort to make more boys cards (seeing as there are 7 nephews on my side of the family alone LOL!) I thought I'd attempt a boys birthday card, featuring a Papertrey Ink plane (aka NBUS!)

Created by first making a cloud template mask by die cutting a piece of acetate, this can also be created using a variety of different sized circle dies. Using the cloud mask, started from the lowest layer of "cloud" and made my way up with Distress Ink Broken China and Tumbled Glass. When it came to doing the die cuts, the Papertrey Ink Birthday sentiment was fine, but the airplane is a single die incorporating three different elements, so die cut a Papertrey Ink plane from white cardstock and temporarily positioned it where I wanted it to appear on the card, then reused the acetate cloud mask to recreate the same cloud pattern on the white cardstock plane - this is where having the mask cut from clear acetate came in handy! Stamped the Papertrey Ink "Happy" sentiment in Distress Ink Broken China, and die cut additional white cardstock layers for the sentiment and plane, and sandwiched them together before adhering in place on the card. Highlighted the tops on the clouds with Wink of Stella Clear.


PS I'd LOVE if YOU could link up your favourite creations for 2014 on 
Our Favourite Things linky party on my blog here!

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely loving how the words seem to appear from the clouds.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun card! And a perfect set of images to use with this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving those camoflaged die cuts Lynda! Cute card! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a fun technique! I'll have to give this a try! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘ANYTHING GOES with a *NEW* TWIST’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you were single-minded in creating this adorable card which any young lad is going to love as I do, Lyndal! You did an amazing job making that camel fudged airplane work on your beautiful birthday sky!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #3!! Happy New Year!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your clouds are blended perfectly! I love your creative take on the MIM technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the technique you used on your card. Using the acetate diecut is a good idea. Thanks for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a genius of a design, I love the cloudy sky !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lyndal, I have not tried this technique as of yet...but you have me intrigued with this great young man's masculine card! The clouds look fantastic! Thanks for sharing your talents with us at Seize the Birthday...I so enjoy dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thumbnail I could see at the NBUS challenge was so intriguing I had to come and check out your card up close and personal. I love it! And the technique doesn't seem that difficult. The secret is definitely the acetate cloud template.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have me flying away on a holiday with this card. Love the clouds and the plane - just hope they hit clear skies soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw ​your card linked at the NBUS challenge and just had to come see it in more detail. Awesome card! I am now your newest follower and would be honored if you visited my blog and became a follower too. http://karenskreativekards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I REALLY appreciate you for taking the time to stop by, and I really do appreciate your comments.